Monday 3 May 2010

My life continued.....

I met my dad for the first time when I was 19 years old. I remember as soon as I started realizing other kids had mom's and dad's,I wondered where mine was and if I had one? In my family such things are not mentioned except by adults. My gran was mother and father,my mom was working and when she wasn't working,they(aunts etc)were partying. She wasn't a bad mother she was just a young mother. I can remember my gran taking us to the beach and my mom and friends were still sleeping from a hangover and my sister and I would ask her for money,now they had a habit that when they came in from a night out,they would empty their pockets of all change and would throw it in a tray. If we were good,then mom would give us pocket money from the tray. This particularly hot day as we were heading for the beach we asked mom if we could have the change. Still. Sleeping she replied " ah-huh". Man,I'm telling you,did we collect ALL that change. We had a wonderful day at the beach with just a little over R150,we ate till our tummies felt like bursting. In those days that was a lot of money and we had food,ice-cream,cream doughnuts etc. My gran didn't think to question us as she knew that we had asked our mom. When we went home, my mom and uncle were looking for coke bottles to give to the shop in exchange for a cold cool drink to nurse their hangover. Mom couldn't remember what had happened to their change....
My gran burst out laughing!, as she had heard my mom say "uh-huh".
On the farm we lived we had good times, we used to swim in the dam with the farm kids and play on the farm between rows of spinach.
One day one of the farm girls wanted to break off my barbie doll's head and she pushed me, refusing to be bullied I bit her on the shoulder and ran home. When I got home I told my mom what had happened and her boyfriend went to straighten them out.
I remember my sister and I throwing the farm kids with stones and not missing one,because they had called us "arm boere". We were sensitive over our skin color as we were the only whites. If you read my previous blogs you would know that my mom is colored and my dad is white. On school I remember running to church break times to go and eat soup,they made the best soup ever! This girl has since turned into Gudgirl,God has erased the bad girl in me. Thank you for reading this,stay tuned for more and feel free to leave a comment.
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment