Monday 3 May 2010

The day I met my biological dad

That is a day I would not forget in a hurry. We had gone to Caledon previous times and had not been successful in contacting him as we didn't know where he lived or if he was married. My mom couldn't remember where the farm he used to live on was. I had been nagging at her since I turned 18 because I felt now was the time to find him. sometimes I look at kids without dads and feel heartbroken at them not knowing what life would be like with a dad's touch,words of comfort,discipline. I wish I had a dad who scolded me when I came home late or to cover up for me when I didn't mean to do anything wrong,or hold me on his lap if things didn't go according to plan. Its a heavenly blessing to have a dad in you life and dad should be treasured and loved as well as mom. I remember being determined not to one day have kids with a love-and-leaver. But with a gentle,caring,compassionate and loving husband(not boyfriend). God has blessed me with all that and more! Okay,let me not dwell off my original story(meeting my dad).
We went to mom's uncle's house,who took us to my dad's brother's house(who was ecstatic to see us after all the years)he in turn took us to meet my dad.(My twin sister didn't want to go cause she was upset that he didn't look for us) I remember my mom had us write letters every year(when we passed a grade,lost a tooth,christmas,birthdays etc)to our dad and she would say she will post it,but she kept it as she didn't know where he lived. We only found out years later. My dad was in his house when we got there and I thought that he must be married by now,how would his wife feel about us? All these thoughts racing through my head. When he came out he looked so shocked to see me that at first he didn't know why all these people were standing outside his door. He finally saw my mom and it registered who I was,he later told us that he knew there were two of us and he thought I looked familiar. He started crying and my mom said "meet your daughter". Let's just say it was an emotional day. I sat on his knee and looked into his eyes forgetting all I wanted to ask and just thinking how this man looked like me. I wanted that moment to last forever(imagine a 19 year old sitting on dad's lap!) He wasn't married after all and didn't have any other kids. He says not a day went by without him thinking about us. He had even kept all our dolls and toys. Looking at him that day I didn't see a love-and-leaver, I saw a broken soul, lost because his only children were lost. We went to visit once after that day and the end of May 2010 we're going again. I'm so exited! My baby looks just like him(blond hair,green eyes). He is going to meet our younger kids for the first time. My sister met him the second time and completely forgot any anger(we camped on his farm in 2007 for easter) we couldn't stop talking,hugging,just being together.
So all mums,the day you leave a man,don't keep the kids from their dad's,you're doing more harm than good,they will resent you,when I think of all the times I resented my mom for taking us away from our dad,and keeping us away from him,I do not wish it on anyone. Children must see their fathers,don't let your differences hurt the kids. Not all stories have a happy ending. Love: Me(mwah!)
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment